Setting up a DSLR as a webcam can be a bit tricky to do, especially if Canon does not want you to do it. Here we will be setting up a T3i as a webcam without using desktop sharing. This could possibly work with other EOS DSLR cameras.
If you are planning on using the DSLR as the fully dedicated webcam, I would suggest that you purchase the power adapter to always have it on.
You are going to need to download the following applications. Each of the links is to the exact files that I used if you want to obtain the latest release use the source links.
- Canon T3i EOS Utility 2 Download for OSX
- [Camera Live OSX Download]
- Source Github
- [Cam Twist OSX Download]
- Source Cam Twist Studio
Camera Live only works with Canon.
Now that you have all of those applications installed you will need to configure them.
Step 1 Configure EOS utility
It’s annoying to have to close the EOS utility every time that you turn on the camera. The fastest way to disable this is to go to your navbar and select
Do Not Launch EOS utility
Step 2 Configure Cam Twist
Open the application and go to the navbar and select
Set up the frame rate to
The video size to
with the following aspect ratio
1920 x 1080
Close the window.
YOU MUST FULLY EXIT THE APP!
You can do this with
That’s it for the one-time setup.
This is a procedure that you MUST go through every single time that you want to use the DSLR camera as a webcam.
- Quit all browsers if you are wanting to use the camera with a web application
- Quit the three required apps if they are running EOS utility, Camera Live, or Cam Twist.
- Start the applications in this order
- Startup Camera Live
- Turn on DSLR (Camera Live needs to say active)
- Startup Cam Twist (Click on view and main window) Select Syphon double click and select camera live.
- Minimize apps
- Enjoy your new webcam
If you are having issues with the audio syncing or the video not showing up just use a capture card instead of the software solution.
Leave a comment below if you are still having issues with either the Hardware or the Software Solution.